3 quart slow cooker beef stew recipe
I enjoy a nice, hot bowl of stew when it’s cold outside. Making your own beef stew is easy, cheap, and most importantly delicious.
Unfortunately for me, I only have a 3 quart slow cooker (Crock-Pot 3-Quart Manual Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel). The good: the slow cooker was free. The bad: most slow cooker recipes are for 6 quart slow cookers. After some experimentation, I’ve come up with a beef stew recipe I really enjoy for my 3 quart slow cooker. Note: If you have a 6 quart slow cooker, you can double all the ingredients.
The recipe makes about 3-4 servings. I like to serve it with some warm, crusty bread, like a warmed baguette.
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut in to 1 inch cubes (My grocery store sells 1 pound packs of beef stew meat already cut in to 1 inch cubes.)
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1⁄2 pound of baby carrots, cut in half crosswise
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (I buy the pre-washed, pre-cut celery sticks and chop them up. I use about 5-6 celery sticks.)
- 1⁄2 onion (large), or 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄8 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Prep the meat
- Place raw meat in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper, and seasoned salt.
- Pour the mixture over the meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. I use my hands to coat the meat with the flour mixture.
- Prep the vegetables
- Chop and dice the vegetables per the ingredients.
- Put all of the vegetables in a large bowl, and mix them together.
- Add bay leaf to vegetable mixture.
- Prep the broth
- In a small bowl, mix the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and minced garlic together.
- Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker
- First I add the broth mixture to slow cooker
- Next I slowly add vegetables to slow cooker, and mix with the meat and broth
- Once everything has been added to the slow cooker, I give everything another stir to mix together.
- Start cooking
- Cover the stew.
- Cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours. Most times I cook on high for 5-6 hours.
- Enjoy your beef stew!